Thursday, October 9, 2014

I'm improving the world one child at a time. I TEACH!



Beginning my Global Perspectives on Development and Learning course, I was thinking about the ideas of other countries on early childhood and not thinking about the idea of social change. Thinking out of the box with other countries research is very difficult for me since I have not broadened my horizons to reflect my teaching philosophy.  The idea of social change was also challenging due to being a preschool teacher with little influence on management and program functionality in my current position.  It is now my goal to make changes that improve early childhood for children birth to eight years old and hopefully get a career that will hear my voice, let my hands work towards greatness and be a part of social change for everyone involved.

My ultimate goal is to teach at the collegiate level and be an inspiration for future teachers.  One quote that I love is by Conrad Hall.  He states “You are always a student, never a master.  You have to keep moving forward.”  This rings true for my students and me as a lifelong learner.
Lastly, I sometimes get frustrated with management not listening to my ideas or asking teachers their input on situations that teachers deal with every day.  For example, I work for Head Start and Monday through Friday full day classrooms have children all day.  The time to get paperwork done or to discuss student progress does not exist even at nap time.  I would like management two days a month to build in a half day schedule where the teachers can step out of the classroom at nap, once the kids are sleeping, to allow for a 2 hour meeting to occur.

I would like open minded early childhood educators to really think about the needs of teachers to teach the children.  With that being said, there are two quotes that I live by in regards to open minded thinking.  One is by Malcolm S. Forbes: Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.  The other is “the aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think – rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men” by Bill Beattie.
 
These quotes are sharable on Facebook at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_education2.html#BJq2pJ7XkOWziMTb.99

A few blogs that I live by when planning or getting through a school year are:


No comments:

Post a Comment