Monday, April 6, 2015

Preschool Children and Language IEPs



My Major Assessment is focusing on preschool students and their families with language delays.  These delays may be developmental or dual language learners.  Specifically, I want to focus on creating goals on individualized education plans (IEPs) to collaborate between the school, teacher and home environments. 

I have few experiences with IEPs in the preschool classroom but the ones I do have experience with the parents seemed confused and wanting different results for their children.    Parents are receiving information and goals from the itinerants who are testing and working with the children.  Parents are assuming that they just have to sign the paper and let the IEP sit as stated.  After a few parent teacher conferences, parents have expressed their concern of goals not being met and children not showing signs of improvements.  My questions and focus is encompassed by all of these processes while creating and implementing an IEP.

My only question with completing this assessment is observing growth of a child with an IEP in one year time.  I also cannot perform brain scans on children who are nonverbal to figure out why they are delayed and what medical interventions are needed for continued support.

1 comment:

  1. Crystal,
    This will be an interesting read when you complete your research because there are many factors that can lead to language delays. Most of the cases that I have come into contact with personally are special needs related. However, I have witnessed some children that are the younger siblings that do not get the opportunities to speak because siblings or others do it for them. Good luck with yor topic, I am interested to see what your findings reveal!
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete